Want to keep more money in your pocket? Of course, we all do. And one of the easiest ways is to transfer your high-rate credit card balances to a low-rate card.
We know, we know—when it comes to credit cards, the best-case scenario is to pay your bill in full every month to avoid paying interest, but we also know that’s not always possible. So, what’s the next best thing? A low-interest credit card.
Whether you continuously carry a balance on your cards or charges mounted up during the holiday season, the best way to save on your payments is to get on a low-rate card. So, consider a balance transfer today.
Not convinced? Here are five reasons why a balance transfer to a low-rate credit card makes sense.
- Savings. One of the biggest benefits is the savings. Imagine you transferred a $5,000 balance from a card that charged 22.50% APR (Annual Percentage Rate) to a card that charged half that at 11.25% APR. You could save more than $45 on interest in just one month or more than $550 a year.1
- Pay down debt faster. With lower interest, you’ll be able to pay off your balance more quickly.
- Pay less interest. Transfer balances to a low-rate credit card and you could save hundreds on interest.
- Consolidate payments. Bring over balances from multiple credit cards to simplify your life with one low monthly payment and one due date.
- Protect Your Credit. Managing your credit card debt now is an important way to avoid falling behind on your payments and ruining your credit. High credit card rates are challenging enough, so why add the headaches that come with repairing bad credit?
Avoid Intro APRs
A word of caution, though. You may want to avoid introductory APRs. We’ve all received a promotion that screams 0% APR on credit card balance transfers, but these offers are only available for a limited time, usually between 6 and 12 months. When the introductory period ends, the amounts you owe will begin racking up debt at your card’s regular variable rate—which is typically a huge jump.
Ready to Make the Switch?
Whether you’re looking for a low-rate card for everyday purchases or need to transfer your high-rate balances, the Platinum Classic Mastercard® Credit Card from Arkansas Federal Credit Union is a great place to start. Not only does it come with one of the lowest rates in the country, but you’ll also enjoy no annual fee, no over-limit fee, and $0 in fraud liability.
And the best part? This isn’t an introductory rate; you’ll enjoy a consistently low rate every day! No teasers or promo rates—just an everyday great rate currently as low as 11.25% APR.2 It’s the perfect card for everyday purchases or for transferring higher rate balances—either way, you’ll save. With the money saved on interest, you could pay down your balance faster and have more money in your pocket each month.
You can apply online in minutes at afcu.org/low-rate or call them at 1.800.456.3000 today.
- APR is the Annual Percentage Rate. This scenario assumes there is no balance transfer fee. With a balance of $5,000 and an APR of 22.5%, the monthly minimum payment is $142.81. With a balance of $5,000 and an APR of 11.25%, the monthly minimum payment is $96.88. This is a difference of $45.93 (more than $45) or $551.16 year.
- APR is Annual Percentage Rate. No annual fee. Cash Advance fee = 3.00% per transaction. Late payment fee up to $40. Interest on cash advances will be charged by the member’s standard APR on the balance from the date of transaction. Offer subject to change without notice and may end at any time. Foreign transaction fee for the Platinum Classic Mastercard and Platinum Secure Mastercard is 1.00%. As of 9/02/2023, the standard variable APR for the Platinum Classic Mastercard is 11.25% -- 18.00%. This rate is variable and subject to change. Balance transfer and cash advance fees are subject to transaction fee of 3.00% of total transaction amount. Full Credit Card Account Agreement and Disclosures. All loans subject to credit approval and restrictions may apply. Membership with Arkansas Federal Credit Union is required.